Difference between revisions of "Group 6"

From Library Freedom Wiki Page
Jump to navigation Jump to search
(One intermediate revision by the same user not shown)
Line 138: Line 138:
 
<br>
 
<br>
 
<br> I would also be interested in pursuing how we can encourage our local ALA chapters to take a stand against facial recognition technologies. -Vic
 
<br> I would also be interested in pursuing how we can encourage our local ALA chapters to take a stand against facial recognition technologies. -Vic
 +
 +
<br><strong>Graphic design</strong>
 +
* Maty: connected with Mike and Alison over email on Sept 9, sent zip file, waiting on Mike's response

Revision as of 15:37, 9 September 2019


Little Brother's Project Outline
Group members: Victor Benitez, Maty Cropley, Kimberly Trinh-Sy, Oscar Gittemeier
Goal: Community Toolkit for Privacy & Surveillance
What will we do?
Awareness campaign that builds trust between library and community
Every tool and program teaches critical thinking around privacy and surveillance
Toolkit will have both passive and active programming including lesson plans for privacy instruction
Strive to connect it to the individual needs of our community members -- their every day lives and possibilities
The goal of the Toolkit is for for it to become reflective of the local community needs when implemented, but can also be adapted and scaled to other communities
Who will do it?
Victor: lesson plans/primer for privacy workshops
Oscar & Kim: Vendor agreements and free & open source alternatives
Kim & Maty: Passive programming
All: Survey and Feedback
Victor, Oscar, Maty: Non Library programming (curate gallery, disco parties, incorporate local culture)
All: Conference presentations (will come together at end)
Timeline:
We plan to have individual draft pieces by the time we meet in NYC.
We will connect every two weeks on chat for at least 15 minutes to talk about progress and troubleshoot with one another.


Program write ups/proposals



Timeline


Maty: Union Initiative to Endorse and Support MA Legislation Banning Use of Facial Recognition organizing work •presentation for Union rank-n-file is done •sample legislation endorsement letter is ready •date for presentation is forthcoming - our next meeting has been pushed back to accommodate a grievance initiative •follow-up after vote/meeting will include a blow-by-blow of how this went with some messaging templates •will work with BPL-PSA eboard to submit written testimony to state legislature

Maty: New Teen Central Circulating Chromebook Configuration passive programming •currently working with CTO on configuration of Chromebooks to include HTTPS Everywhere and Google Analytics Opt Out, as well Roblox (devices refuse to connect with Roblox server) •IT is a very taxed department in our organization, but hopefully I can have our test devices ready for the first day of school, Sept. 3

Maty:‘One Weird Trick’ privacy/anti-surveillance meme creation program training/project •ran on August 5th, reworking again to run in early October - new draft last week of August

Maty: Horror Drag vs. Facial Recognition not-a-training privacy program •scheduled meeting with folx from MIt/Algorithmic Justice League and have rescheduled event to November to include Joy B. •will follow up with program documentation and write up of program for other librarians

Maty: "36th Chamber" Non-library event •street outreach re: Facial Surveillance •working on collateral - finish by first week of September •build Twitter account - before/by Sept 5th •have already acquired equipment

Maty: Library Technology Comparison •starting with LibraryBox/Piratebox vs. B&T Axis 360 Pop Up Library •write to vendor rep for clarification on privacy policy and device specs and connections info -next week •I will write up a proposal to present at YALSA/ALA on the comparison and include this privacy info by the ALA due date (Sept.10 I think?)

Maty: LFI Piratebox •completed device, need to stock with project documentation from cohort to use during YALSA presentation

Maty: BPL Patron Data Privacy Audit •No timeline as yet; new library working group meets with CTO for the first time next week

Kim:Passive Program/Activity: Facial Recognition One Sheet

Here's my draft: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1h8_P14fJLTMY8K0uDu-8xbXS_FWle6Lk/view?usp=sharing Document feels too wordy right now. I'd love your feedback! I'm still working on an accompanying activity for this. My current ideas are:

  • A coloring sheet of a face to teach how to obscure the facial recognition technology, examples of what designs are doing
  • Mask making activity
  • Multiple choice activity on what do you do in this scenario/what are my rights or options in this scenario? (going to a stadium, going to an airport, using biometrics to unlock phone)
  • Tentative deadline: Aug. 30

Oscar Will Complete by 08/28/19 -Share Vendor Agreements collected with Group 6 (Mango Languages) – Done -Post Data Hygiene Calendar to Group 6 Wiki – Done -Reach out to Jeff to get the NYPL SimplyE Vendor Agreement – Not Done Yet -Work with Kim to create a Checklist for Vendor Agreements – Not Done Yet

Oscar Will Complete by 09/28/19 -Post Checklist for Vendor Agreements to Wiki – Not Done Yet -Transfer Data Hygiene Calendar to a chart and post to Wiki for whole cohort to contribute to – Not Yet Done -Work with Cohort to draft conference proposals for PLA & GLA (What LFI is) – Not Yet Done -Work with Cohort to draft conference poster proposals PLA & GLA (Poster Comparison of Vendor Agreements) – Not Yet Done

Oscar Will Complete by 10/28/19 -Oscar will ask Georgia Library Association to proclaim support for patron privacy / oppose vendor data mining – Not Yet Done -Reach out to local privacy partners in Atlanta to plan non-conventional library programs – Not Yet Done -Set dates for privacy programs in Atlanta – Not Yet Done
Oscar Will Complete by 11/28/19 -Promote & implement non-conventional privacy programs (Library After Dark events, music events, etc.) – Not Yet DoneOscar Will Complete by 08/28/19 -Share Vendor Agreements collected with Group 6 (Mango Languages) – Done -Post Data Hygiene Calendar to Group 6 Wiki – Done -Reach out to Jeff to get the NYPL SimplyE Vendor Agreement – Not Done Yet -Work with Kim to create a Checklist for Vendor Agreements – Not Done Yet

Oscar Will Complete by 09/28/19 -Post Checklist for Vendor Agreements to Wiki – Not Done Yet -Transfer Data Hygiene Calendar to a chart and post to Wiki for whole cohort to contribute to – Not Yet Done -Work with Cohort to draft conference proposals for PLA & GLA (What LFI is) – Not Yet Done -Work with Cohort to draft conference poster proposals PLA & GLA (Poster Comparison of Vendor Agreements) – Not Yet Done

Oscar Will Complete by 10/28/19 -Oscar will ask Georgia Library Association to proclaim support for patron privacy / oppose vendor data mining – Not Yet Done -Reach out to local privacy partners in Atlanta to plan non-conventional library programs – Not Yet Done -Set dates for privacy programs in Atlanta – Not Yet Done

Oscar Will Complete by 11/28/19 -Promote & implement non-conventional privacy programs (Library After Dark events, music events, etc.) – Not Yet Done


_________________________________________________________________________________________

Data Hygiene Calendar:
Daily - Delete Cookies, Delete Browser History
Weekly - Software Updates, Take a Break (Digital Detox), Review Settings
Monthly - Empty spam folder, change passwords, Backup data, review cloud based accounts, review/delete apps
Annual - Reread Tor, Check your credit report, Manage purge schedule/digial footprint, Verify your downloaded data/is data still accessible/are any files obsolete, digitally srub yourself/remove public records.



_________________________________________________________________________________________

Older information below
This is a place for Group 6 to get started! Let's come up with a new name and start brainstorming roles and tasks!
Possible Names: -Little Brother -Sparkle Motion -Killer Librarians from Outer Space -Librarians vs. the World

Oooo, I like the literary allusion of "Little Brother" - Kim
I also enjoy 'Little Brother' - literary allusion def yes, also sounds like a name for a boat - Maty
Let's go with Little Brother! -Vic


Project Ideas/Suggestions/Comments
I saw mention of a vendor agreements as a potential project - I personally don't have any experience with that as a new librarian in a big library but would be open to working on this - I mostly do outreach work to teen-centered spaces, middle and high schools, spaces serving street-involved and incarcerated youth and would also be happy to work on something like workshop materials for spaces outside the library? - Maty C

I'm open to anything, really. I do a lot of local outreach (for adults), so I would find it useful to develop workshop materials for non-library spaces. I am also intrigued by the idea of developing a privacy program that is not a class. -Kim; I'm also interested in these ideas, -Vic




I would also be interested in pursuing how we can encourage our local ALA chapters to take a stand against facial recognition technologies. -Vic


Graphic design

  • Maty: connected with Mike and Alison over email on Sept 9, sent zip file, waiting on Mike's response