LFI Course Materials/Week 6: Facial recognition
Week 6: Facial recognition: the corporate side
- Real time lecture: June 28th 10 am Pacific/1 pm Eastern
We had a great lecture with Kade Crockford about government and police uses of facial recognition technology and the current efforts to ban and limit its use. This week, we'll hear from Varoon Mathur about the corporate side of things -- the tools being used by the private sector, controversies around their use, marketing strategies, and who their clients are (mostly cops). Varoon will connect this to overarching approaches to AI "ethics".
- How facial recognition technology is being used by corporate entities
- How this relates to bans happening at the government level
- What policy interventions are possible
AI Now Report 2018 Note: This is quite long, so don't worry if you can't manage the whole thing!
Varoon Mathur, AI Now Institute
- How can we bring information about this technology into our communities?
- How can librarians get involved in efforts to control the use of this technology?
- Lecture, readings, discussion forum, and small group work
- Prepare for small group updates on the forum next week (Alison will update about this on the forum)