Main Page/Crash Courses/Systems and Policies/Week four
Week 4: Vendors
- Real time lecture: June 10th 9:30 - 11:30 Pacific/12:30 - 2:30 Eastern on Zoom https://zoom.us/j/9129428892
While librarians have always considered privacy among our most sacred core values, our in-library practices leave a lot to be desired. Recent privacy issues with vendors like Kanopy, Lynda.com, and Gale Analytics have brought to light the abysmal privacy practices of library vendors. And while it's easy to criticize these outside parties, our internal privacy policies could also use a lot of work.
- Vendor privacy scorecard: https://github.com/alisonLFP/libraryfreedominstitute/blob/master/LFI2/finalprojects/Library%20Freedom-%20Vendor%20Scorecard-%20110719.pdf
- Why vendor privacy Q&A (click the download button on github): https://github.com/alisonLFP/libraryfreedominstitute/blob/master/LFI2/finalprojects/WhyPrivacyLicenseQ%26A-Qiana_Nicole.docx
- ALA Library Privacy Checklists: http://www.ala.org/advocacy/privacy/checklists
- Protecting Patron Privacy: Librarians, Vendors, and Patrons Each Have a Role to Play: https://digitalcommons.du.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1330&context=collaborativelibrarianship
- San Jose Public Library Vendor Security Analysis results: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1jdPwQeC5RAUbBWLAhyIYxWHa0pTdVObc
- EFF’s How to Assess Vendors’ Data Security: https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2018/01/how-assess-vendors-data-security
- Qiana Johnson is the Interim Associate University Librarian for Collections Strategies at Northwestern University Libraries and a graduate of LFI cohort two.
- Nicole Becwar is the Technical Services Librarian & Archivist at Western Colorado University and a graduate of LFI cohort two.
- Jessica Krill is an Assistant Professor / Arts & Humanities Librarian at Central Washington University and a graduate of LFI cohort two.
- Tracy Treece is the Digital Inclusion Manager at the Denver Public Library and a graduate of LFI cohort two.
- Lecture, readings, discussion forum
- Schedule final project checkin with Alison
Vendors and privacy, political advocacy around vendors, some of the history here
collection of vendor policies saved in docs