Main Page/Crash Courses/Programs and training/Week 4
Week 4: Privacy tools and strategies 101
- Real time lecture: October 25th, 12 - 2 pm Pacific/3 - 5 pm Eastern on Zoom https://zoom.us/j/9129428892
- Recording: https://vimeo.com/manage/videos/639086433
- Transcript: https://pad.riseup.net/p/dh7-GSusFnDHiMNBoS3O-keep
This week we'll begin to discuss privacy tools and strategies, covering things like passwords, texting, email, browsers, mobile device security, really whatever we have time for. We'll talk through how different tools and strategies relate to various threat models and how the best practices might be the same or different, as well as the amount of friction and technical difficulty that users tend to experience with each tool. Those in the cohort who are already teaching privacy are invited to talk about their experiences with these tools, as well as their preferred privacy tools that aren't covered in the lecture. We'll also review and discuss some of the privacy teaching resources out there, from LFP and beyond.
- Read through EFF's Surveillance Self-Defense: ssd.eff.org
- Read through EFF's Security Education Companion: sec.eff.org
- Browse through Tactical Technology Collective's Data Detox Kit: https://datadetox.myshadow.org/en/home
- Browse through LFP's website resources: libraryfreedom.org/resources
- Browse through LFP's teaching resources: https://libraryfreedom.wiki/html/public_html/index.php/Main_Page/Teaching_Resources
- Which of these strategies and tools have you used? What is your experience using and/or teaching them?
- Discussion board link: https://libraryfreedom.chat/t/cc-2-week-four-privacy-tools-and-strategies-101/907
- Lecture, readings, and discussion forum. Check in with Alison if you want to do a final project!